The mission of the King David High School Library is to support the academic goals of the students, faculty and staff. This vision is implemented by providing state of the art wired and wireless access to the Internet coupled with a strong emphasis on research skills and critical evaluation.
The King David Library is approximately 2200 sq. ft. and occupies the southwest corner of the high school. It currently has 10 workstations available for student use, complemented by 20 data ports and wireless access. There is over 500 linear feet of shelving space available for printed materials (this is enough space to hold approximately 6000 books to support student learning). The library provides individual and group study space to enable students to complete class assignments as well as engage in self-directed learning.
The computer workstations and wireless network provide access beyond the physical walls of King David High School.
In addition to the library catalogue, the library has purchased:
- The Gale Databases consisting of the Gale Virtual Reference Library and the Canadian Periodicals Database - CPI.Q. These databases can be searched individually or at the same time using the PowerSearch feature. Gale Virtual Reference Library is a database of e-books (encyclopedias and specialized reference sources) for multidisciplinary research.
- World Book Online Reference Center integrates all primary and secondary source databases plus e-books in a single search. Online Reference Center has thousands of complete e-books and primary source documents. It includes audios, videos and animations, as well as thousands of Web links selected by World Book editors and expert contributors.
- World Book Advanced is a powerful reference tool that includes encyclopedic, multimedia, eBook and primary source databases all accessed through a single search feature, correlates to BC high school curriculum standards, and offers a citation builder.
- World Books’s Atlas is an up-to-date source of full-colour maps of the world, continents, countries, states and provinces, and many cities.
- L'Encyclopedie Decouverte is an extensive encyclopedia supporting French curriculum and language development.
- Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos is an intermediate Spanish-language encyclopedia.
- Canadian Reference Centre combines Canadian magazines, newspapers, newswires and reference books to create the largest collection of regional full text content available to Canadian libraries. This database is updated on a daily basis.
- Academic Search Premier is a multi-disciplinary database that provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including full text for nearly 3,900 peer-reviewed titles. PDF backfiles to 1975 or further are available for well over one hundred journals, and searchable cited references are provided for more than 1,000 titles.
- GreenFILE offers well-researched information covering all aspects of human impact to the environment. Its collection of scholarly, government and general-interest titles includes content on global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more.
- Business Source Premier is the industry’s most used business research database, providing full text for more than 2,300 journals, including full text for more than 1,100 peer-reviewed titles. This database provides full text back to 1886, and searchable cited references back to 1998.
- Regional Business News provides comprehensive full text coverage for regional business publications. Regional Business News incorporates coverage of more than 80 regional business publications covering all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States.
- Consumer Health Complete is a comprehensive resource for consumer-oriented health content. It is designed to support patients' information needs and foster an overall understanding of health-related topics.
- MasterFILE Premier is a multidisciplinary database provides full text for nearly 1,700 periodicals with full-text information dating as far back as 1975. Covering virtually every subject area of general interest, MasterFILE Premier also contains full text for nearly 500 reference books and over 164,400 primary source documents, as well as an Image Collection of over 592,000 photos, maps & flags.
- Middle Search Plus provides full text for more than 140 popular, middle school magazines.
- Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia provides over 25,000 encyclopedic entries covering a variety of subject areas.
- Professional Development Collection is designed for professional educators. This database provides a highly specialized collection of nearly 520 high quality education journals, including more than 350 peer-reviewed titles. This database also contains more than 200 educational reports. Professional Development Collection is the most comprehensive collection of full text education journals in the world.
- Encyclopedia of British Columbia Online Edition is the definitive reference work on British Columbia.
These resources are complemented by the electronic databases and full-text sources provided by the Vancouver Public Library, which students use to supplement their educational endeavours.
Access Electronic Databases Here